Monday, October 11, 2010

Music in children

My daughter came home one afternoon smiling, humming, swaying and saying she wanted to learn how to play a violin or a piano. Though I just gave her a blank look, she kept on talking and said that early that day, her music teacher asked her If she wanted to be a member of the school band but she told her teacher that she doesn’t know how to play any musical instrument. Her teacher said that she’ll be having a music class where she would teach students.

My daughter said that her teacher showed her the musical instruments. My Mikaela said she gazed in awe at the piano that she wanted to grasp it and start playing it. It looked like that Tunes of piano music floated in her head and she pulled my hand and said, “Mommy I really want to learn how to play the piano!!!”

I just said, “Let’s see. Musical instruments are expensive.”

Then, a week after, she came home teary-eyed. The music lesson had just started. And she wasn’t on it. Seeing her looking like that broke my heart. I called Stanley and asked what can we do and he said that he’ll borrow his brothers Yamaha organ. In a phone call, my problem was solved. Mikaela was able to enroll in the music class.




As Plato once said, “Music is a more potent instrument than any other for education”.

I believe that music helps my Mikaela gain self confidence and helps her improve with something educational than sitting in front of the computer playing games. It’s been a month since she enrolled in the music class and I found out that she enjoyed it a lot. I observed that music soothes her and relieves her stress during school days.  She also does her assignments and reviews her notes without my nagging and pushing. Music has a positive effect on my Mikaela.

Music is a gift you can give your child that will last their entire lives. Make it a part of your child’s life too.


No comments:

Looking For Something?