Friday, October 10, 2008

you won't like me when i'm angry



"Anger is an emotional state that varies in intensity from mild irritation to intense fury and rage"

I inherited it from my father.
When things don't go as I wish them to, and even with just minor irritations, my blood pressure goes up, eyes redden, body trembles, and all symptoms show up that I'm not in my wits. And although I wasn't exposed to some blast of a test detonation of a gamma bomb, I often involuntarily transform into a depicted giant, raging monster, leading to extreme complications.

But that was a long time ago (whew!). Not until I knew of the possibilities that my veins from my heart or brain will pop-up sooner than I can even finish saying "Gago ka pala eh!". Ayoko ko pa yata matigok!!

So, after years and years of trying to suppress, control and redirect my anger, I can now finally say that I can calm down inside. But I'm not saying I'm not getting angry anymore (ano ako santa??) What I'm saying is that I'm not just controlling my outward behavior, but also controlling my internal responses, taking steps to lower my heart rate, calm myself down, and let the feelings subside.

How I did it? Here, this might help:



1. Be an artist. Why, with your extreme surge of emotions, you might create a work of art, malay mo you will be the next Picasso.



2. Do something physically tiring but productive. Don't waste your energy sa walang kwentang tao, go clean the house, although alam na alam naman na tamad ka. Who know's andito pala talent mo hehehe.3. Eat. When a person is angry he/she is most likely to loose amino acid which is the body's natural antidote for stress and anxiety. And by the way, a hungry person gets angry fast.

4. Do the yoga. Concentrating so intently on what your body is doing has the effect of bringing a calmness to the mind. Physical activity is good for relieving stress, and this is particularly true of yoga.


5. And finally, know thyself. You can keep an anger logbook to identify the kinds of situations that set you off and to monitor your reactions.

Here are some other things you can do when you start to feel angry (Reviewed by: W. Douglas Tynan, PhD):

  • talk to a friend you can trust
  • count to 10
  • get or give a hug
  • do jumping jacks or another exercise
  • draw a picture of your anger
  • play a video game
  • run around the outside of the house five times as fast as you can
  • sing along with the stereo
  • pull weeds in the garden
  • think good thoughts (maybe about a fun vacation or your favorite sport)
  • take a bike ride, go skateboarding, play basketball - do something active!

Never getting angry is impossible. Instead, remember that how you act when you're angry can make the situation better or worse. Don't let anger be the boss of you. Take charge of it!

No comments:

Looking For Something?